Saturday, June 19, 2010

up and down

I had the opportunity to run the Wild Roses Women's Half Marathon with my blogging friend (now real friend) Sonia: http://soniatherunner.blogspot.com/ last weekend. It was quite the event! I had a bad cold and wasn't sure if I could run it or not. Sonia kept her positive attitude and outlook and said she would run it at my pace no matter what...

I really hate to slow people down, but the first few km's we did quite well. Then the hills. Oh my the hills! Seriously people if you're looking for some amazing running trails you have to go for a run from the Solicitor General Staff College in Edmonton and find yourself a challenge! We managed to pass some women on a wicked downhill and they never caught back up to us. We were forced to walk so many of the hills it started to get ridiculous! Sonia never wavered though. She got me through the race and we crossed the finish line together so happy to be done :)

I am going to make her and I a medal since at the finish line the Running Room decided that women want chocolate and a red rose (hork) when they're done. Oy.

My body has felt trashed since the attempted ultra. I don't think it's necessarily the attempted ultra but potentially the amount of work stress I've been experiencing. I'm starting to gain weight quite rapidly and this is another sure sign I'm not dealing with the stress very well. That and the need to sleep.

My kids are growing up fast. Another summer is here and I grieve a bit how fast time is moving. They will be grown up before I know it. I feel like I'm trying to move ahead in my career and education at the same time hold it all together and be a strong mother present in their lives. I am constantly forced to make decisions about my priorities. I am trying to win the laundry battle. I am trying to find the courage to clean my house, weed the garden, plan the meals.

I'm not feeling particularly positive today. Maybe I just needed to get it out.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I know you find it very stressful right now with work, school and the family but I KNOW you are doing a good job. It's a lot to keep together but your kids know you love them and they are going to grow up to be proud of their mom who accomplishes so much and is a good role model. Stress, maybe but guilt, no! Hang in there!